Saturday, January 25, 2014

Each diver has his own carrier and the two remain sandollars a team. While the diver dive, keep the


Many people sandollars who have read that I long long ago when the world was still beautiful and I was young, abalone smuggling, asked me the story (re) telling. The first time (on my blog sonkind) I tried to tell as story and it was much more fictional than real. Now I'm old and (almost) retired sandollars on my porch, and I do not think it makes so much more really matter and I do not believe anyone goes my knees still come shoot, so I'll try to get closer to the truth to remain .
After my divorce from my children's father, my ex-worse-half for a while "missing-in-action". With two children and a house to take care of there too much month left at the end of my money. Through sandollars mutual friends when I became friends with people who regularly sandollars lobster and abalone diving. Eventually I found out that some of them actually abalone as lobster and abalone diving than the allotted quota diving and sold. And that there is a 'vacancy' is someone who is willing to carry bags of abalone. Let me make it clear - I was never really part of a syndicate, more part of a "small time operation".
Now, the thing works like this - there are divers and there are carriers. The diver dives minimum 20 kilograms of abalone per dip. They 'Shuck' underwater, meaning sandollars they ontskulp the abalone into the sea. It's quite dangerous because it attracts sharks, but poor man can not afford to be afraid. Along with the bag that their body is bound, their actual quota, everything sandollars seems to be legitimate, they pack a brown bag in the sea. The brown bag is the type of bag that the roadworks people use sand to throw signage along fast pack. A single bag takes just about 20kg ontskulpte abalone. If the construction so people wondered sometimes they become sandbags - now they know!
Each diver has his own carrier and the two remain sandollars a team. While the diver dive, keep the carrier while waiting and searching place pocket hide out when the diver. Divers dive together, but singly, so that there is not too much turmoil with too many bags equal. The diver leave the bag in the water level, and then walk away with his usual quota. Then the diver never close the abalone, because carriers are replaceable, diver reluctantly. The carrier must be very fast, the bag will take out and go hide in the predetermined sandollars location. All without unnecessary eye sees you. Dive sites are usually in remote areas, away from hoofstrande, so it's not too difficult. However, a carrier must have his / her story to know, because you need the bag well enough to hide someone else pointed down, but still so you remember where to find it again - IN THE DARK!
Later that night - or rather in the early morning hours, it is the carrier's work around the bag to collect, back transfer to the parking place, which is usually a tight little distance away from the dive site, and the bag of abalone back transport to the agreed location download. It is then weighed the abalone and the carrier must be paid and then the diver's part for him. The diver and carrier usually an agreement between them over who gets how much. Some of the money divided half and half, others they carry a fixed amount of money per pocket. Whatever the arrangement, there was great trust between carrier and diver and the proverbial "honesty amongst Thieves"
I and my diver has shared half-half. We all had a buyer, and then we got R60 per kilogram, because obviously ridiculously low, because sometime people got rich from the abalone. But it R600 per dive into my bag and delivered it definitely was not versmaaie not. That's more than 15 years ago and then was R600 was quite something.
We try to at least once a week so a dive, but it depended on the weather and the condition of the water and the presence of the inspectors. Sometimes there until two weeks have passed that no one could dive. I do have a regular job as well, but for many of the divers sandollars was their only income, and sometimes they become desperate and in bad weather dive. These were tough guys, often unemployed sandollars and really enforced the bread diving. It's not a race thing, but all the divers I knew was white and it was a matter of honor to them not undersized abalone to dive. Contrast colored abalone divers found any, have surfaced. I sometimes swam around and was sad to see the little shells lying underwater.
That's the reason why today is an endangered species and the laws are much stricter. At the time, though the divers sandollars I knew, speculated that they would gladly pay for a living diving license and a duikkwota for abalone, which they legally could deliver sandollars to factories. Later, there was talk of it, but I do not know if it ever actually sandollars materialize n

No comments:

Post a Comment