Monday, November 11, 2013

%d bloggers like this:


Living in Morocco, I have encountered a number of challenges being a vegetarian/part time vegan. Every time I go to visit someone’s house I have to prepare myself for what might be placed nautilus shells for sale on the table. Now that I have been here for awhile, most of the people that know me know that I don’t eat meat and they respect that. I have learned to make compromises too. Although I would like to be a vegan I know that this is something that isn’t always reasonable in Morocco, so I reserve that to my own cooking. When a community tajine (Moroccoan dish) is laid out for everyone in a family, I am more than happy to eat around the chicken or lamb in the center, something I would never do back home. It is all about finding a balance. nautilus shells for sale
Then there is l’3id Kbir. Directly translated nautilus shells for sale this means the big holiday. And it is. This is the most important of the Muslim holidays, and is celebrated all over the world (not just Morocco). This holiday is a festival of sacrifice in which each family nautilus shells for sale kills a sheep (sometimes more) symbolizing obedience to Allah.
As a vegetarian, when I first arrived in Morocco and heard about l’3id Kbir I was a little terrified. But I have grown to have a better understanding and respect for the celebration. My students and some of the people that I work with love to have me tell the story of l’3id Kbir. I think it gives them a sense of pride to have a non-Muslim tell the story in their language. nautilus shells for sale Anyways, in simple terms l’3id Kbir is in observance of the Prophet Abraham’s willingness to Allah by sacrificing his own son, based on a vision he had. Allah then stepped in and told Abraham to kill a sheep in his son’s place. Since then people do the same to show their connection to Allah and to commemorate Abraham.
I personally nautilus shells for sale do not like the sacrifice part of the holiday and have managed to avoid partaking in it. For me it is just too much to actually watch the act take place. However, I still visit friends’ houses to wish them a happy l’3id. This year I made cornbread and cookies to take to neighbors and other families that I know. They all appreciated the gesture and understood why I wouldn’t be attending the actual sacrifice. nautilus shells for sale Apart from not wanting to see the death of an animal there is a lot I can respect about l’3id Kbir. In Morocco, every part of the sheep is eaten or used in some way. Every organ, hide, and bit of wool has a place. nautilus shells for sale fr example, something that I hear other volunteers complain about the most is eating kababs composed of liver that has been wrapped in intestine. People also take this time to give to others. It is custom to give large portions of meat to the poor or to those that could not afford their own sheep.
In the end, l’3id Kbir isn’t nautilus shells for sale really much different from the holidays that I celebrate at home. People get together, they spend time with their families, and they share with one another. It just comes down to finding that balance between experiencing another culture and sticking to who you are as an individual. Over the last year and a half I feel like I have found that balance, or at least something close to it. This has helped me learn about other traditions while also showing people an example of a different lifestyle. Being a Peace Corps volunteer doesn’t mean that one has to loose themselves or what might be important to them; it is about compromise, nautilus shells for sale flexibility, and finding that happy medium.
Website
My name is Brenna! I am a vegetarian, I think rivers, trees, and mountains are beautiful, I want to travel the world, my little hippie truck is one of my best friends, and I am a Peace Corps Volunteer. Archives Select Month November 2013 October 2013 September 2013 March 2013 February 2013 January 2013 December 2012 November 2012 October 2012 September 2012 August 2012 July 2012 June 2012 May 2012 April 2012 March 2012 February 2012 December 2011 November 2011 October 2011
%d bloggers like this:

No comments:

Post a Comment